USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
The Mountain Edge Skating Club of Colorado began in October 2012 with a goal of providing a family-friendly environment for skaters of all ages while promoting friendship, good sportsmanship and building self esteem through skating.
The club is one of seven new U.S. Figure Skating clubs and they make their home at the Edge Ice Arena in Littleton, Colorado.
“Many of us call the rink our home and we wanted our club to be visible and present with board members who have current skaters or students,” said club vice president and membership chair Candice Flanders. “Every day of the week at some point in the day you will find one or more of our board members answering questions, reminding skaters to turn in Skater of the Month applications or running for a bag of ice when someone falls.”
The club is also proud of their supportive and enthusiastic coaching staff.
“Our coaches are our true rock,” Flanders said. “Our coaches each rotate through our board meetings to help provide guidance, give suggestions and be a sounding board.”
Board members welcome the coaches’ input since most do not have a figure skating background.
“Our coaches each volunteer numerous hours of their time helping with club activities, test sessions, special projects and yet still donate lesson time for prizes toward our top fundraisers, take pictures for posting on our Facebook page and ask how they can help.”
The club also promotes many fun activities throughout the year, both on and off ice. Each spring, it holds a technical seminar that is free to members. They also host an annual banquet and skate swap, along with test sessions.
Another fun activity: the club’s shamrock buttons.
“We place St Patrick’s Day buttons around the rink and whoever finds them posts a picture to Facebook to win a prize,” Flanders said.
The club is also excited to promote and feature their many skating programs.
“Because we have a home rink and staff that supports us we are able to collaborate,” Flanders said. “We have a new rink/club skater enrichment program and we are holding a Mountain Edge Skating Club Night during the rink’s Learn to Skate classes. Each of these brings something different to our club.”
Mountain Edge’s skater enrichment program offers another opportunity for members to receive instruction on and off ice.
“Being able to represent our club during the rink’s Learn to Skate classes opens up the communication of who we are and what we do at the rink,” Flanders said.
The new club is most excited to see what the future will bring, and is proud of their current membership of 164. They also look forward to developing their many programs to help skaters reach their special goals.
“We are excited to see what the future brings,” Flanders said. “We want to watch our skaters develop and we plan to continue to find more ways to support them and our skating families.”
Mountain Edge skaters have fun on the ice.
Members of the Mountain Edge club pose with coaches on the ice.
- Meet the New Clubs: Introducing The Skating Club of Jackson Hole
- The Next Ice Edge Welcomes Adults to Skating Clinic
- Shining Starz: New Adult Theatre on Ice Team Wins Silver in Hyannis
- Center State Club Coach Rides 100 Miles to Raise Awareness for Child Safety
- Lights, Curtain...Skate: Club Shows Provide Skaters with a Lifetime of Memories
- Wisconsin Edge Coach Shares the Edge on Social Media Strategy
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas