USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
When Sally-Anne Kaminski was skating on the Miami University Collegiate Varsity Synchro Team in 2005, Facebook was just coming into its own.
Today, Kaminski is the Wisconsin Edge Skating Director and has started sharing her social media knowledge with clubs and teams across the country.
“I have been working in social media now for over five years,” Kaminski said. “It became natural for me to begin brainstorming how I could combine my two true loves.”
Kaminski began synchronized skating on the Wisconsin Edge juvenile team nearly 20 years ago. She also skated with the Starlights in Illinois, the Miami University Collegiate team and is now back coaching at her home rink in Milwaukee. Kaminski’s preliminary team recently won the 2015 Midwestern Championships.
Through her years on the Starlight’s’ Board of Directors, Kaminski helped the club create and execute successful social media strategy. Because of those experiences, she decided to officially start an LLC that focused on social media training and consulting.
Kaminski tailors each training session to the specific needs of a team or club.
“Social media is not a one-size-fits-all and no two teams are alike,” she said. “The younger skaters need help understanding how to be safe on the internet. The older skaters need to understand how everything they say and do online is permanent and could negatively impact them as they are applying for colleges and jobs.”
Past training sessions include work with all four of Starlight’s IJS teams, Wisconsin Edge skaters and consulting work with skating coaches in the Midwest.
Kaminski is also working on developing a training course for parents that teaches them the basics of social media and what they need to know to keep their kids safe online.
“It’s not uncommon for me to receive an email or text message from a coach asking advice on something social media related,” Kaminski said.
Kaminski feels a class in social media benefits teams and clubs, especially in today’s technology driven world.
“Schools do not teach social media as part of their curriculum so the kids look to each other to figure things out, which is kind of scary. If I can help just one skater from my training sessions than it’s all worth it.”Clubs and teams who would like further information on a social media training class can contact Kaminski here.
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas