U.S. Figure Skating appreciates the cooperation and understanding of all members to help implement these minimum requirements to ensure that the environment in all U.S. Figure Skating programs is as safe as possible for all participants. This will help give parents the highest degree of confidence that their children are not only receiving good care and proper instruction but are safe from improper conduct.
- U.S. Figure Skating Full Membership (either through a member club or as an individual)
- Completion of SafeSport Training
- Successfully pass the annual background screen
- Verification of current coach liability insurance
- Completion of CER Courses
- Additional requirement - PSA Membership if coaching in qualifying competitions only
Note: Non-compliant coaches who attempt to coach at a test session or competition are subject to disciplinary action by U.S. Figure Skating and/or the PSA.
U.S. Figure Skating Membership
If you would like to register/renew your membership through a club, contact your club membership chair or club office.
You can also register/renew as an individual member. Individual memberships can be secured through U.S. Figure Skating Online or by calling Member Services at 719.635.5200.
Register for Annual Background Screen
All coaches must complete the U.S. Figure Skating registration requirement in order to be allowed to instruct/coach at the following sanctioned activities:
Background Screening Information
- International competitions on behalf of Team USA
- Developmental International competitions
- Qualifying and nonqualifying competitions
- Test sessions
- All performances including ice shows, exhibitions, recitals and carnivals
- Any other sanctioned club activities (including club ice)
U.S. Figure Skating has established a working relationship with the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI), which will provide comprehensive background screening services. NCSI is one of the leaders in providing background screening to youth-serving organizations. U.S. Figure Skating has worked with NCSI to ensure that this process is convenient, secure and confidential. The process for screening is simple and generally takes about five minutes. When U.S. Figure Skating receives a "green light" from NCSI and has verified liability insurance, the registration process will be finalized, and a U.S. Figure Skating coaches registration card will be issued. In addition, the coach's name will appear on the list of registered coaches available on the U.S. Figure Skating website.
To complete the registration, you will need the following:
To complete the background screening, follow the link on the coaches registration form. You will need the following:
- If you have a membership number from U.S. Figure Skating, please visit the Members Only site to begin the coaches registration. NOTE: You will need your membership number and password.
- If you DO NOT have a membership number OR have not had a U.S. Figure Skating membership in the last two years, please contact Member Services and type "COACHES REGISTRATION ID" in the subject line and include your name in the body of the email.
- Social Security number (highly secure)
- Name history - past five years
- Address history - past five years
- U.S. Figure Skating membership number
Review of background search findings: Should an applicant contest a U.S. Figure Skating decision to deny participation as a coach in U.S. Figure Skating activities based on a "red light" finding from the background search, the applicant has the right to appeal the decision to U.S. Figure Skating pursuant to a process established by U.S. Figure Skating.
Note: If you are under the age of 18, you do not need to complete the coach registration at this time as NCSI cannot perform screens on persons under 18.
After the registration is complete, please print a registration card and carry it with you to sanctioned events and competitions. Treat this as a driver's license; while you may not always be asked to show it, you are required to have it with you at all U.S. Figure Skating events at which you are coaching. Print your coach compliance card by logging in to Members Only and clicking on the Coach Compliance tab, then “Print Coach Card.”
3. Verification of current coach liability insurance
Coaches must show proof of current liability insurance.
U.S. Figure Skating provides general liability for coaches for all skating and skating-related activities. This coverage would provide defense even if claims are false, fraudulent or groundless and claims that include libel, slander and defamation of character.
- Policy term is from July 1-June 30
- Annual premiums are $96 and cannot be prorated
Each Occurrence Limit - $1,000,000
Personal & Advertising Injury Limit (Any One Person or Organization) - $1,000,000
General Aggregate Limit - Per Coach - $5,000,000
Products/Completed Operations Aggregate - $5,000,000
Damage to Premises Rented to You (Any One Premises) - $1,000,000
Medical Expense Limit - EXCLUDED
Abuse & Molestation Per Occurrence Sub-limit - $1,000,000
Abuse & Molestation Aggregate Sub-limit - $2,000,000
To access coverage through American Specialty Insurance Services, click here.
For questions about coverage and other aspects of the program, contact Wells Fargo at 800.796.2845.
4. Completion of Continuing Education Requirement (CER) Courses
U.S. Figure Skating requires all coaches who are coaching at nonqualifying, qualifying or test track competitions and/or test sessions to fulfill a Continuing Education Requirement (CER) beginning this year. This will be done in the form of online or in-person courses, followed by an online test through the PSA online learning system.
- All CER courses are available online through the PSA.
- You do not have to be a PSA member to take online courses.
- CER courses will be also be offered in person at U.S. Figure Skating and PSA seminars whenever possible.
- Beginning July 1, 2018, the CER Category A and B Coach/ Choreographer Categories in the CER Program will be merged and renamed to become the "Professional Coach/ Choreographer CER Program." All coaches will be required to complete four CER courses.
- CER Fee Structure - Subscription fee of $25
- One online U.S. Figure Skating Rules course is prepaid.
- One online Professional Ethics course if offered prepaid.
- The deadline is July 1st. If a course is not completed by the July 1 deadline, the late price is enabled, and all courses are at a higher fee.
- Other online courses cost $35 each before the deadline of July 1st..
- Cost includes course and test.
You will find CER courses at skatepsa.com.
5. PSA Membership (if needed)
This membership is only required for coaches at U.S. Figure Skating qualifying competitions and coaches traveling to competitions as part of Team USA. If coaching in qualifying competitions, you must be a current member of the PSA.
Note: U.S. Figure Skating membership is completed separately from the coaches registration. Please follow the above step to renew your membership and follow the steps below to complete your coaches registration found on the U.S. Figure Skating website.
6. SafeSport Training
At U.S. Figure Skating we are committed to providing a safe environment for our members to participate in our sport in an atmosphere that is free of harassment. The SafeSport Program training and education is provided through an online platform and its purpose is to educate our members in becoming aware of opportunities to assist in the prevention of harassment and abuse within our sport. The online program is free to our members through Members Only!
The training consists of three, 30-minute courses. You can start and stop the Training at any time. If you stop at any point prior to completion, you will return at the same place where you left off. Each course consists of a pre-test, videos, learning scenarios and a final test that those required to take the Training must pass. To access the training once you have created an account through Members Only, log in here: https://safesport.org/